Friday, January 22, 2010

Champion Nadal into fourth round



Rafael Nadal
Nadal has already accumulated six Grand Slam titles

Defending champion Rafael Nadal advanced to the fourth round of the Australian Open with a 6-4 6-2 2-6 7-5 win over German Philipp Kohlschreiber.

The second seed's serve was put under pressure and he needed some inventive shots to win in three-and-a-half hours.

Fourth seed Juan Martin del Potro survived some anxious moments before beating the unseeded Florian Mayer.

The 21-year-old US Open champion served 11 aces but was guilty of 46 unforced errors in a 6-3 0-6 6-4 7-5 victory.

Nadal extended his record against Kohlschreiber to 5-0 but it was their closest match to date, and in statistical terms only eight points separated them over the 38 games.

"Well, the most important thing is I won, so I'm happy for that," the 22-year-old said.

"I am less happy about my game, what I was practising. But everybody has not very good days.

"I think I played much better the fourth set. The second set for a few moments I played well, too. But the first set and the third, I played bad and I need to play a little bit more aggressive for my next match."

That will be against the gargantuan Croatian Ivo Karlovic, who beat compatriot Ivan Ljubicic 6-3 3-6 6-3 7-6.

for more : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8474055.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment